15.8.17

Review: Text, Don't Call: An Illustrated Guide to the Introverted Life by INFJoe


Summary/Cover Image from Publisher's Website
An illustrated guide to the challenges and pleasures of the introverted life

Introversion is “in.” But there are still many misconceptions about introverts in the world. They’re shy. Anti-social. They don’t want to have close relationships. They’re all cat people. They don’t like big parties (okay, that last one might be true).

INFJoe, the cartoon persona of artist and introvert Aaron Caycedo-Kimura, is here to set the record straight. Filled with charming comic book style illustrations, this book provides invaluable insights into the introverted life with plenty of humor and wit. Full of moments that will make introverts say, “That’s so me!” as well as helpful tips on surviving at parties and in the workplace, Text, Don’t Call is the perfect gift for your quiet friends, or the extroverted ones who could use some help to better understand the introverts in their lives.
Review: 

When I was first offered the chance to read and review Text, Don't Call: An Illustrated Guide to the Introverted Life, I was intrigued. As someone who's always hovered between being an introvert and an extrovert, I find it interesting to read more about the "introverted life," especially when I can fully relate to what is being said. After reading an excerpt from Text, Don't Call, I could say 100% I could not only relate to what INFJoe was saying but I also wanted to see what else INFJoe had in store for us! 

Text, Don't Call is a mix of text and illustrations. I truly enjoyed the addition of the illustrations. Not only did they spice up the text, but they also really managed to make me laugh out loud and think "yeah, been there, done that." The book is separated into nine sections. The sections tackle topics such, as "Know Thyself," "#IntrovertProblems," "Surviving Large Groups," and "Navigating the Workplace." I thought INFJoe did a fantastic job of setting up the scene (I guess you would say) for this book. First, he really digs deep into how he's an introvert, what being an introvert means, and tacking life as an introvert. While some of the details and information shared I already knew, I did learn some new things about the introverted life. Additionally, as I've said before, I really managed to relate with what was said, as I'm sure many other introverts and half-intorverts will be able to as well. The two sections I found the most relatable was "Surviving Large Groups" and "Getting Through the Holidays and Other Celebrations." I don't know about you all, but surviving large groups and being around a large amount of family around the holidays can be so incredibly exhausting for me. There's always so much small talk as well as finding a good midpoint between saying too much and saying too little. I'm always more than ready to disappear and read a book after a large celebration such as those, so it was interesting to see INFJoe to tackle that in this. 

In all, Text, Don't Call: An Illustrated Guide to the Introverted Life is an eye opening book perfect for readers who are introverts and need that reminder that it's okay others are right there with you. It probably goes without saying as well that this book is perfect for fans who are already familiar with INFJoe. 

Grade: B+ 

Text, Don't Call: An Illustrated Guide to the Introverted Life is now out! 

Source: paperback copy provided by publicist/publisher 


Some of My Favorite Illustrations: 

pg. 79 - A big YES to the middle smilie face - I feel that way all the time. 
pg. 49 - I LOVE this one! I need to start doing this in my apartment 
pg. 124 - I think all book lovers can relate to this one! 

Buy Links: 


Author Links: 


Tell Me in the Comments: 

Are you an introvert, an extrovert, or somewhere in between? 
Have you heard of INFJoe before? 
Can you relate to any of the illustrations I shared? 

14 comments:

  1. I reviewed this one today too! I really enjoyed it as well - and love the illustrations. I can relate to so many of them.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am an introvert for sure. I tend to avoid big crowds and stay home a lot. But we also live up on a mountain, so I can use the excuse that it takes too long to get to most places anyway. ;) This does sounds really good and I glad that you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that is a good excuse!! Thanks for stopping by, Jenea! :)

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of this one before, but it sounds pretty cool! I think I'm a pretty introverted person, as well as being shy. I find it difficult being in a large group, I never know what to say! Sounds like I could relate to this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes find it difficult to be in large groups too. I've gotten slightly better at it as I've gotten older (and joining a sorority in college helped) but still sometimes I just stand there and have no clue what to say lol Thanks for stopping by, Angela! :)

      Delete
  4. This looks like such an awesome book. I am 100% introvert, so I think I'll relate to it a lot! I also really like that there's text and illustrations :)

    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the text and illustrations combo was a nice touch. It made it be not stilted, which I feel is a common problem with nonfiction books.

      Delete
  5. Oh I need to read this book. I'm an introvert too. I love having lots of alone time. I can relate to it. Sounds SO good. Thanks for sharing, Lauren. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, Geybie! I love having lots of alone time too - more time for reading! :)

      Delete
  6. I'm 100% an introvert and this sounds sooooo up my alley! Those illustrations are me and make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am becoming more and more introverted as I get older. I can totally relate to all of the photos you shared from this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo, glad to see people are enjoying my photo selections! :)

      Delete

I love comments so never be afraid to leave one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Imagination Designs
Artwork by www.CreateTheCut.com